Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Let's get Real...

So I decided that my blogs are going to start getting a little more "real" here at Hess Happenings. B/c I am sure if you are a frequent (or non-frequent) stopper-byer of the blog that I tend to probably make everything look "just dandy" here in the land of Hess. I know most of you know that that is far from reality but I figured I might as well start sharing some of the bad along with the good.

One good example that I was reminded of after reading my friends blog was last week at the grocery store. Now I will blame a bit of this on myself since it was nearing lunch time and my kids were not up to feeling 100% healthy yet, but it was Lucas' turn to bring snacks to school the next day and we were literally running in to pick up 5 things.

At first I thought things were going well. We parked right next to a GREEN car cart. Lucas was sooooo excited and actually wanted Lilly to sit next to him...(just don't touch his wheel). We headed for the produce department and grabbed the weekly must-have fruit items then headed to the cookie isle to grab some Teddy Grahams to go with the Go-gurts we already had so Lucas would have snacks for school. That's when things turned very ugly very fast.

As soon as I threw them in the cart Lucas asked if he could have some...now I don't know about you, but typically I could care less if we open up the box of crackers/snacks at the store while shopping before we actually "pay" for them. It always gets paid for, they still get thier money and everyone is happy right? (If you happen to disagree with this please feel free to leave a comment). But I am honestly not sure how any mom with two children who has to buy a cartload of groceries does NOT do that.

But that day was different, it was our last item of 5 and all we had to do was check-out which was 15' away. So I told Lucas No and explained that we were done and were going to check-out and I would open them when we got in the car. For some reason I think Lucas stopped listening after I said the word No...hmmm. He then proceeded to beg and plead for some cookies as I continue to say no and push the cart the 15' to the self-check out. Lilly now catches on that there is food in the cart and now she wants some too. So they are both trying to turn around and beg and plead and whine (not quietly) through the little window in the back of the car. In the meantime Lucas doesn't want Lilly to lean on him while she is trying to turn around in a moving vehicle cart and Lucas keeps yelling "Don't push me Lilly!" and then head butts her head with his. We are now 5' from the scanner machine and the self-check out lady sees my 3 year old beating my 1 year old with his own head and is just staring at me with big eyes and says "Oh My!" So I pull up and grab Lilly out who is now crying b/c her big brother hurt her, console her for a minute while Lucas continues to beg and plead for food (again NOT quietly). I get Lilly calmed down and put her in the regular part of the cart and then decide to try and explain to Lucas that he is in trouble for hitting his sister and is definitely NOT getting any cookies. As he screams some still I hold him down and strap him into the car for time-out.

So now he is screaming even louder for me to "Let me out!" and I take calmly scan my 2 items and across the scanner, then of course the others have to be "weighed"...figures. The self-check out lady is trying to help by offering my crying children stickers...Really lady? I didn't bother to say anything to her b/c I know she was only trying to help but do you really give a kid stickers who just hit his sister? I also didn't even look aound at what I am sure was the entire store looking at me...whether out of pity or thinking I was a horrible mother. I was just trying to keep myself calm and collected which I think I pulled off rather well. We exited the store with Lucas still trying to catch his breath from crying so hard. Lilly was content with the keys she had taken from my purse. We made it home and they were fed and put to bed.

Honestly, I have always struggled with those public occurances b/c it is not as easy as sitting them in timeout or sending them to their room. I would tend to give in at church b/c I figure its better than causing a big scene. When shopping, I can take Lucas and put him in the cart if he starts running off but that doesn't mean he doesn't try to climb out! (Scary!) Typically shopping experiences go pretty well, and typically I have my kids when running errands like these. I would have to say this was the worst experience yet. So if you have a magic solution to discipline in public places please let me know. Otherwise we will hopefully move past the terrifying threes soon enough and survive the neccessary shopping adventures with two children in tow.

Can you feel the love?

6 comments:

houseofeling said...

oh I like this post. I love to hear it when my friend also have rotten children. sorry.....

Getting more real is a good idea...save the candy coated stuff for the Christmas card, right?

Tam said...

this is what books are made of.........hang in there, Mom.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that's worked for me with Jacob in the store (mind you I don't have 2 children that can fight with each other yet)...I bring a snack and a drink to keep him occupied OR I have him help me put stuff in the cart. It doesn't always work, but most of the time it does. And yes, I do open items for Jacob to eat or play with and then pay for them later. :)

Anonymous said...

That picture is priceless! I have left a cart full of groceries in the middle of the store as I took my screaming child out!

Melanie said...

Oh girl, I FEEL your pain. And I say, until they can offer curbside or drive thru groceries, us opening a bag of chips, goldfish what have you, should be a given!! 4 stars for getting through it calmly while kids are losing it. when i hear other kids screaming in the store my first instinct is to feel for the mom bcuz i'm just sure she is lovin her day so far! Ignore the stares, you are an awesome mommy.

Melanie said...

p.s. love what jamie said, i have had to do that too!!