Friday, January 09, 2009

Beans Beans the Magical Fruit

Does anyone else know that song? If so, I am sorry and if not, I will spare you the rest. Well the winter leaves everyone indoors too much and I don't know about you, but we are kinda getting restless and tired of coloring. So I have created a fun little place right here in my family room and I thought I would share the idea with you (if you haven't already seen it). I hope you are not filling yourselves with beans this winter, but you could fill a box! I have to say that I never thought I would buy two 25lb bags of pinto beans at COSTCO...but they are sooo worth it. We now have a "box-o-beans" and the kids LOVE it. Basically it is like an indoor sandbox, but bonus b/c it is a little less messy. My friend Emily shared the idea of a rice box, which I was totally going to do, but after talking to my little sis, she suggested beans b/c they are easier to clean up (and they are cheaper in bulk).
Lilly is more of a pourer and scooper, where Lucas is more into pretend with diggers, bulldozers and even dinosaurs who get buried in the "rocks". Really the possiblities are endless and only yet to be explored.
It is new this week, but I would say they have played with it for hours already. Hopefully it will keep them entertained for awhile. The cool thing was that I already had the storage bin under Lucas' bed. It use to be filled with "clothes I hope to fit into again". Suprisingly enough, I am able to wear about 1/3 of them, and another 1/3 just needs to go to goodwill and the last 1/3...well here is to hoping in 2009! What is your winter playground??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bean box sure looks a lot like the one Neil and Sammy got for Christmas...even the construction equipment look the same

The Stamms said...

That is such a neat idea! I'd try it except I think Nathan would try to eat the beans this year. Maybe next year...

Sheila said...

Yes....everytime I serve a meal with beans Jeremy sings it to the girls thinking that will make them eat their beans. They just laugh at him!

A Room to Grow said...

Your bean activity is popular with adoptive children with sensory issues and those who need help with their fine motor skills.

I thought about getting some for Rita because I think she'd also like all of the scooping and pouring.

Melanie said...

you are so clever!! I will have to look for the huge bag of beans next Costco run and give this a try..