Friday, October 10, 2008

Bad endings can happen to good people...

So, after all this time, patiently waiting for the world to come knocking at my door. Quietly living out in the country, so close to civilization but so far away. A beautiful view, a walking trail with horses, a great deck, a firepit, only one neighbors in view, and many other blessings that come with living near the great outdoors. We were really only missing one thing. One thing that would make everyday life and work a little bit simpler. One thing that could either give back hours of my day (or possibly take them away). There was only one thing that I longed for at my fingertips, that I thought would bring joy and excitment all at once. And then all of the sudden something started to happen! This spring there were strange people in my front yard. The possiblity started to become something that maybe, just maybe could really come true. Can it be? But I asked and no one could give me an answer. Spring came and went, still no answer. Summer flew by with only a hint in the air. Then small signs started showing up, small wonderings began to dance in my head.
I called again...can it be true I thought?
The phone rang...I talked happily through the automated lady (instead of yelling at her)...and then finally! A real voice!
Is it true I asked?
Is the fiber optic for high speed internet really available??
Will I no longer have to wait hours to refresh my email??
There was a pause that seemed to last forever...and then the small little word seemed to change my negative thinking...YES!
Ballads of the Hallelujah chorus from high school choir rang in my head.
I talked to Tim, we got our plan figured out, set up the date and began to wait with such high anticipation. You could feel the excitement in the air and the thought of only taking one second to check my email or 5 seconds to attached an Autocad file had me bursting at the seams. Life would be so easy, so much time would need to be filled and such glorious ideas of what I would do with all that time swirled in my head.
So Tuesday I waited, patiently for someone to show up between 8 and 12. And even though he didn't arrive until 11:40, that was ok. I couldn't wait for the work to begin!
And then it happened, the wind shifted and the mood began to change. The hope started to dissipate. He comes back to my door and states, "I have bad news."
NO! NO! I wanted to shout!
"The box is too far away, I do not think we can get a signal here."
What? NO!! Please! Anything but that!
The look on his face was not a good sign. And even though despair began to fill the room, there was a small glimmer of hope. Someone else was on their way to see if they could get the signal to work. We will just have to wait. So I took a deep breath, pretended to blow it off like it wasn't a big deal and then closed the door. If I was 1-1/2 I might have melted down and looked something like this...
(that is marker on her legs, not poop...she is an artist you know)
So I held it together, the first guy on the way, his truck broke down. So we waited some more, it wasn't looking good. The more time that passed made the light grow dimmer. The workman tired of waiting and had somewhere else he could be useful. Somewhere else where a lucky man or woman would be blessed with high speed internet.
About 3:00 yesterday, I recieved the "final word" via phone. "I am sorry to say mam, but until we add another box or somehow increase our signal you will not be able to join the 21st century. But, don't lose hope mam, we are always working to increase our services blah blah blah blah. I really don't think I heard what he said after that. I was in shock. The reality had set in. My hopes were dashed and my dreams for fast surfing had come to an end. It was kinda like thinking that you were a nerd and now you were going to magically join the cool kids at school. But then you got beat up.
This picture explains my feelings perfectly.
Life will go on, other time saving aspects will have to be saught, I will continue to work and amaze people with dial up. I will continue to fight the fight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT SUCKS!!!!!! You were so excited (as was I)...and that happens...m aybe they'll get off their butts and do something about it???

Tam said...

This is a great piece for a magazine! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Laurie1024 said...

Mel,
I had no idea where this was going when I started to read. Great post! Sorry you cant get high speed. If your cell phone works in your house you may be able to get an air card for your computer through your cell provider. Have you checked into that? I have one and it works great!